Thursday, August 23, 2018

"Toad"ally

I took a break from my ISS project last evening to build a wonderful papercraft sculpture of a toad.

The kit is produced by Sarah Brown, proprietor of Questionable Press.  Sarah produces unique "whim-wham" cards, coasters, posters, notepads, and sculptures.  Her papercraft creations are made from hand carved wood block images and hand set type, printed using a one-ton Heidelberg Windmill press.  I met Sarah and saw her artwork in person at the Augusta Heritage Festival.

The toad sculpture kit is comprised of a one-page set of parts, an assembly instructions sheet and glue dots, packaged in a nice clear eco-friendly sleeve.


The parts are already die-cut.  I used my knife to fully separate each part and prevent any rough edges or tears.

 

The sculpture is made up of 5 parts.


I used a black colored pencil to darken select edges.


Glue dots are affixed atop the printed circles.


I joined the bottom and back of the main body.


Next, I attached the front legs.  I shaded the backside of the eyebrow parts and front legs to help blend in the appearance.



I then attached the bottom jaw and formed the mouth and nose area to follow the contour of the mouth area.  The tail was folded down and tacked using a glue dot.  I shaded the backside of the rear legs, bent the feet out at the crease line and then attached both legs at the prescribed glue dot points.


Voila!  I took my new sculpture to my workplace to hang out on my desk.